Sunday, January 3, 2010

Merry Christmas

Hi everyone, i just saw that my last blog entry was almost a month ago , so I thought it was time to clog up your inbox again.

Anyway merry Christmas and happy new year, we are almost 6 months into our trip now and I really thought we would be finished by now but infact are not even half way.

we spent Christmas at a beach on the west coast of mexico and apart from giving myself a christmas sleep in ( i got up at 6.30 instead of 6) we also spent plenty of time in the water and generally relaxing our sore legs, Andy got me a great lucho libre mask( the mask of the wrestlers of mexico) and as a joke i decided to wear it for a day - little did i know ........., everywhere we went i got the respect i have thought i always deserved, kids stopped throwing stones at us , dogs ran in the opposite direction ( and if they did open their mouths it was only to weakly mewow) , shop owners gave me the price locals pay for coke , and woman everywhere lined the streets adn threw their underwear in my direction, , i made the sollom oath to wear the mask for the rest of the trip until a chance meeting in a town square with a real wrestler -- at that point it become clear that the mask comes with certain expectations - i.e to wrestle others for the entertainment of the public - this is when I took of the mask and got on my bike and left town under a hale of stone throwing kids and chasing barking dogs - all i can say is _ lesson learnt!!!

Today we went to the local attraction of a giant sinkhole ( much like harwards hole - for those in NZ) , it was simply amazing and of course for a tiny sum of pesos i also abseiled down into the hole , now i think at this point i should say that i have a bit of a problem with hieghts (which somehow i had forgotten since my last abseiling experiance in alice springs where passing tourists had to pull me up a 50 metre cliff i was stuck half way down) so it was probably not the best idea. About 20 metres down an 120 metre cliff I realised I was only attached to a single steel bolt that had been attached to the cliff 5 years ago and with a guide who spoke no english. My life didn´t really flash before my eyes but I did think that although i´m not to young to die i am certainly too beautiful to die , however i did make it to the bottom where there was an amazing limestone cave to see with probably the most pristine stalitites and mites that i have seen which made the testicle pinching abseil worth it .... did i also mention that there were cave painting to see on the way down that my guide told me were 10,000 years old .....

Mexico is simply amazing but I hate to think what would happen if OSH and DOC ever got here , i think abseiling with no safety rope and crwaling through pristine caves while taking flash phots of ancient cave painting would probably be impossible.

Anyway , next week we are in Guatamala and another spanish school for a few weeks,

Andy


"Don't expect people to listen to your advice and ignore your example."

www.andysballbustingadventure.blogspot.com

www.libertytoredemption.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment